So, you’ve decided to go to Disneyland with your family and you’re trying to select the right hotel for you. Your travel agent (that’s me, Jeri May) sends you pricing for several different hotels and the most expensive one on the list is Disney’s Grand Californian. Why would you choose the most expensive property on the list? I recently decided to splurge and stay at the Grand Californian and I’m so glad I did! Here are five reasons why you should spend the extra money and stay at this amazing hotel:
- The Private Entrance into California Adventure Park – There is a private entrance into California Adventure Park inside the Grand Californian Hotel. Only guests staying at the three Disney properties (Grand Californian, Disneyland Hotel, and Paradise Pier Hotel) are able to access the park from this entrance. You must show a hotel key for this perk. Now, that might not seem like such a big deal, but think about how the lines are getting longer to get through security and bag check at the park’s main entrance. There are much fewer people who stay at the Disney Hotels and that means a shorter wait to access the park. We even entered through California Adventure Park and then exited through the main gate and then went across to Disneyland Park a few times because it was shorter than going through the bag check line at the general admission area. It was also shorter for us to exit Disneyland Park and enter California Adventure and exit at the private gate. You can stay at one of the other Disney Hotels and utilize the private entrance, which I’ve done before, but staying at Grand Californian, it was SO much more convenient.
- The Themed Pool and Waterslide – The Grand Californian Hotel has several pools to choose from when you’re ready to take some time off from the busy-ness of the theme parks. Either take a pool day or simply head back to take a dip and get refreshed before heading back for dinner and nighttime fun in the parks! Either way, you’ll find plenty of shade on a hot day and a poolside server ready to take your order of a cold drink, a light snack, or even a burger. There is a waterslide that takes you spinning around the stump of a giant redwood tree. Nothing else says “California” better than that! There’s the tranquil Fountain Pool, the Children’s Pool, and the Mariposa Pool that includes a hot tub and four private cabanas available for rent. You will feel like you’re in the lap of luxury when staying at the Grand Californian and relishing a little water time.
- Dining Options – There are so many choices to satisfy your hunger or thirst at Disney’s Grand Californian. You can delight in a romantic dinner at Napa Rose, have breakfast with Disney Characters at Storytellers Café, or grab a quick meal at White Water Snacks. If you’re meeting friends for a beverage, the Hearthstone Lounge is the place for you. And of course, the Grand Californian offers complete In Room Dining. Storytellers Café serves a wonderful buffet at breakfast and dinner and an a la carte menu at lunch.
- Treat Yourself to Spa Treatments at the Mandara Spa – What else says vacation like splurging on a massage or foot treatment after trekking through the jungles of Disneyland Parks for a couple of days? This is the hotel to stay at if you need a little extra pampering. A stay at the Grand Californian could even turn into a Destination Wedding with your entire wedding party enjoying a spa day together!
- All the Extras – There is always something going on at the Grand Californian. There is a unique collection of bird statues- you could make a scavenger hunt out of that one. There is a wonderful little shop called Acorns Gifts and Goods- of course; they have great Disney merchandise as well as snacks and bottled drinks. There is a lobby piano that sometimes plays itself and sometimes has a pianist on the bench. There is a giant fireplace that burns 365 days a year even when the air conditioning is running. There is a Children’s Activity Center called Pinocchio’s Workshop for kids ages 5 to 12. There are movies under the stars, a fitness center, and a life size gingerbread house at Christmas time.
The Grand Californian Hotel at Disneyland Resort has so many reasons that you’d choose it for your next stay. Even if this property isn’t in your budget, allow me to help you choose the one that is! I am Jeri May, a travel agent affiliated with Travel with the Magic. You can reach me by email at Jeri@TravelwiththeMagic.com, on Facebook, or by phone 1-800-670-4312 x 147.