Life happens, even on vacation. Even when you and your Travel With The Magic travel advisor have meticulously planned every detail for months, things happen. It can be the weather, issues with My Disney Experience, late starts, missed FastPasses, and more. Here is the best tip I can offer: don’t let it ruin your day or vacation!
Here are some tips to help you recover from the unexpected!
1) Don’t let rainy days get you down! Grab a poncho and go anyways. Rainy days – be it a sudden pop-up storm that will pass or a day full of rain – are park clearers. You can experience thinner crowds and shorter wait times. Some rides and attractions may be unavailable due to certain conditions. If you have a FastPass for a ride that becomes unavailable, it will be replaced with an “anytime, almost any ride” FastPass. You can use this at any point during the day on most rides. A Cast Member will be happy to advise you. Most of the time these are Slinky Dog Dash, Flight of Passage, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and Peter Pan. This list is subject to change without notice and may include others. If you just can’t fathom heading to the park for a day of rain, check the Resort Activities calendar you received at check-in. You can always request another copy! Each Resort has daily activities that take place indoors. Some Resorts even offer kid clubs with numerous options throughout the day! Disney Springs also offers lots of indoor entertainment options like The Void Virtual Reality Experience, AMC Dine-In Movie Theater, and the NBA Experience (opens August 2019).
2) Oh No – We Slept In! Calm down, get dressed, and get to the park. Do not make it a stressful event. If you miss a FastPass, it isn’t the end of the world. If it is a mega-popular attraction with a long wait, consider riding at the end of the day when lines are typically much shorter. This is your vacation. Trust me, you won’t remember what “goes wrong” if you focus on the memories being made. I personally missed an early FastPass because we stayed up late the night prior to talking about some of our favorites things we did earlier in the day!
3) Be flexible! Realize that Disney does not want to disappoint anyone and take a ride down. This occurs when there is a potential safety hazard. Safety is the MAIN PRIORITY. Yes, it will trump guest satisfaction any day of the week. If you are unable to ride something, find another ride or attraction. Do not waste time walking back over to the attraction, check My Disney Experience to see when it is available. You can easily watch a show, grab a snack, or meet some characters as well! I was finally able to meet Fairy Godmother on my latest trip because a ride was unavailable during my FastPass window. If you have a FastPass, one of those special “any time, almost any ride” FastPasses will appear. If you have questions, ask a Cast Member.
4) Have patience and be kind! We live in a digital world and deal with lots of people, errors can occur. Whether you experience issues with check-in, dining plan, or My Disney Experience, remain patient. Disney is known for its customer service, let them do what they do best and remedy it! Definitely contact your Travel With The Magic travel advisor so they can follow up if needed. Again, Disney does not want to disappoint – customer satisfaction is their top priority, second only to safety! Disney appreciates positive and negative feedback. Try to remember as much as possible when dealing with issues like the Cast Member’s name, the time, the issue or experience, and anything that offers a distinguishable identifier. This is crucial for praising Cast Members as well as offers retraining opportunities if needed.
5) Go, Go, Go!! Disney offers various modes of transportation to the theme and water parks as well as Disney Springs. During the planning process, your travel advisor will inform you of transportation options. The My Disney Experience app now offers bus arrival times for each destination. You can see when a bus is arriving so you know to eat breakfast a little faster or if you can take your time. If you miss a bus, consider a Minnie Van! If you drove, you can also take your vehicle and park for free.
6) Adventure is out there! Remember to have fun and don’t stress the small stuff. You can always contact your Travel With The Magic travel advisor if you miss a FastPass or something goes off plan and you feel overwhelmed. Trust me, we have all been there! Sometimes, unplanned things make the best memories!
I promise you, even as travel advisors, our own personal trips have hiccups as well. It can be frustrating and overwhelming but staying patient, calm, and remember that “missed opportunities” can be made upon your next trip are crucial. We are always there for you – even during and after your trip – and just a phone call away if you need guidance. For more tips and ideas on what to do when things don’t go according to plan, contact me!